Donald Trump Iran Strategy: ‘Hair on fire’: Donald Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense as both leaders clash over Iran strategy

globaleyenews
4 Min Read


‘Hair on fire’: Donald Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense as both leaders clash over Iran strategy

US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone call on Tuesday over efforts to secure a new agreement with Iran, with differences emerging over whether diplomacy should continue or military action should resume, according to US media reports.As per Axios, Trump and Netanyahu discussed a revised peace proposal drafted by Qatar and Pakistan, with support from other regional mediators, aimed at bridging gaps between Washington and Tehran.One source quoted by Axios described Netanyahu’s reaction after the call by saying his “hair was on fire”.Trump has continued to publicly express hope that a deal can still be reached with Iran, while also warning that military strikes remain an option if negotiations fail.“We’ll either have a deal or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,” Trump said on Wednesday.Later, he added that talks were “right on the borderline” between an agreement and renewed conflict.

Netanyahu pushes for tougher military approach

Reportedly, Netanyahu remains deeply sceptical of negotiations and wants Israel and the US to resume military operations against Iran to further weaken Tehran’s military and strategic infrastructure.According to CNN, Netanyahu told Trump during the hour-long call that delaying planned strikes against Iran was a mistake and argued for continuing military action. The report said the Israeli leadership is increasingly frustrated with what it views as Iran’s diplomatic “foot-dragging”.Trump had earlier informed Netanyahu that the US was likely to move ahead with targeted attacks on Iran under a proposed operation called “Operation Sledgehammer”. However, within a day, Trump paused the strikes after requests from Gulf allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.Trump informed Netanyahu during Tuesday’s call that mediators were working on a “letter of intent” that the US and Iran could sign to formally end the war and begin a 30-day negotiation process covering Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

New mediation efforts under way

As per Axios, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt have been actively refining a new draft proposal over recent days. Qatar reportedly sent a delegation to Tehran earlier this week for talks with Iranian officials.Iran confirmed it is reviewing the updated proposal. Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Tehran had “received the points of view of the American side” and was examining them.Iran has continued to demand the release of frozen assets and an end to what it describes as US “piracy” against Iranian shipping.Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian stressed diplomacy in a statement, saying, “Iran has consistently honoured its commitments and explored every avenue to avert war; all paths remain open from our side.”

Trump warns diplomacy window could close

Despite ongoing talks, Trump has repeatedly warned that the window for diplomacy could close quickly.“It’s right on the borderline, believe me,” Trump said. “If we don’t get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We’re all ready to go.”Trump also said Netanyahu would ultimately follow Washington’s lead on Iran. “Netanyahu will do whatever I want him to do,” he said.Meanwhile, Israel’s military leadership has maintained a high state of readiness. Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said the military was “prepared for any development”.The diplomatic efforts come after an April 8 ceasefire halted open fighting between Iran, the US and Israel, though tensions remain high and the Strait of Hormuz continues to face major disruptions affecting global energy markets.



Source link

Share This Article
Leave a Comment