Lake Tahoe avalanche: How six survivors used iPhone SOS to alert rescuers after deadly Castle Peak slide

globaleyenews
3 Min Read


Lake Tahoe avalanche: How six survivors used iPhone SOS to alert rescuers after deadly Castle Peak slide

15 backcountry skiers enjoying a guided trip near Lake Tahoe were caught in a powerful avalanche, leaving eight dead, six survivors rescued after hours in freezing conditions, and one person still missing, authorities said.The avalanche struck late Tuesday morning in the Castle Peak area of the Tahoe National Forest as the group was returning from a three-day skiing expedition led by Blackbird Mountain Guides.According to officials from the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office, one skier shouted “Avalanche!” moments before a massive wall of snow swept down the slope, engulfing the group.Authorities received an emergency alert around 11:30 am local time. Rescue crews later confirmed that eight people had died in the slide, six survived, and one remained unaccounted for.The avalanche occurred in a remote, rugged part of the Sierra Nevada during severe winter storm conditions, making rescue operations extremely difficult.

Survivors used iPhone SOS, avalanche beacons to call rescuers

Officials said the six survivors managed to stay alive for several hours in freezing temperatures by using emergency gear and creating a temporary shelter with a tarp.Crucially, the group used avalanche beacon devices and the iPhone SOS emergency feature to alert rescuers and maintain contact while waiting for help. At least one guide was able to send text messages to authorities, helping pinpoint their location.Rescue teams reached the survivors shortly after 5:30 pm, more than six hours after the avalanche struck. A snowcat was used to transport them safely from the area. Two survivors suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to hospital.

Survivors endured hours beside victims

By the time rescuers arrived, survivors had already discovered three of their companions dead in the snow. Officials said the survivors ranged in age from 30 to 55 years and included one guide.Authorities described the avalanche zone as extremely dangerous, with deep snow, unstable terrain and severe weather hampering search efforts.

Avalanche risk was high amid storm conditions

Experts said avalanche danger in the area was rated 4 out of 5, considered “high risk”, due to heavy snowfall and unstable snowpack. Investigators believe a weak layer beneath fresh snow collapsed, triggering the deadly slide.Officials have not yet released the identities of the victims, saying families are still being notified.Search operations are continuing for the missing skier, though authorities warned that worsening weather and hazardous terrain could complicate efforts further.



Source link

Share This Article
Leave a Comment